Thursday, November 5, 2015

Injuries: Recovering From Bicycle Injuries

A little more than a week ago I suffered a somewhat severe bicycle accident. I have a number of facial stitches, swelling, bruises, cuts on my arms and scalp, and a bit of a nasty wound in the groin area. It has been a humbling experience.

I have caught myself apologizing for my appearance, even in church services. People sorta stare, especially kids. I will say that God seems to be healing me well, however. For this I am both glad and thankful. I even prayed for a healing at last night’s revival service. I think God is moving.


I was careless on the bicycle, riding without a helmet in the rain, and with one brake already not working. Naturally, the second brake also failed as I was sliding across leaves as I rounded a corner. I guess I was amazingly stupid. Actually, there is no guessing to it.

What am I to learn from it all? Well, apart from no longer being a really dumb bike rider, I need to be more aware of my surroundings and myself at all times, period. I am not invincible.

Likely more important is that I understand just how arrogant and idiotic I have always been about my appearance. This is coming squarely into focus. These things are all spiritual faults, self-centered lunacy.

Furthermore - I need to rely on God for everything, not just my own self. I really need Him now, and I know it. My own understanding is not always proper or properly acted upon in matters. No one’s is, especially my own.

Sometimes it is hard to really accept Romans 8:28 that says all things happen for the good of the called, but I am trying. I must be honest, knowing my stupidity at the time of the accident, and say that I have actually wondered about my real and precise beliefs.


It may be that God allowed this to change my ever-cold heart and mind, and get me back to Him. Some of us need occasional drastic measures.

No comments:

Post a Comment