Friday, November 6, 2015

Strange Church Services

I have been attending some rather strange church services this week, a “revival” at a very informal local assembly here in the town where I live. The people are very sincere, or so it seems, but have a way of letting their emotions and enthusiasm for feeling-good take-over the rightful place of God and His Word in their services.

I am all for a large degree of praise and worship of God, even songs and singing (of which I partake only a little), and when done so without “group-think” taking-over is a great thing; but, I cannot say that everything I have seen and experienced have been real – rather many emotions being released which some mistake for the presence of God Himself. (BUT, they really believe It is real, so to some It may well be.)

That is not to say that God is not in the building and amid its inhabitants, but as a whole they do seem to confuse their own feelings and outpouring of emotion for Him, to a great extent. (Our God is a God of order and not confusion; the Scripture tells us that.)



I know well the psychological tactics the assembly employs (music, yelling, stirring-up emotions, exaggerated stories, etc), for they are also used in business at sales caravans, and even at school pep rallies. They work in most cases. (I feel like God Himself needs no emotional tactics; He has only to visit His people.)

In a sense, I am like a stick in the mud at these services since I do not let my fleshly emotions control me. In a sense, I have been where they all are (3 decades ago). It is a matter of spiritual maturity, on my part; but, maybe too much so. I suppose the child inside should be allowed to come-out at times.

Call me old-fashioned, but even with praise and worship, I want a solid good portion of the Word of God preached or taught when I attend church – not simply to watch a bunch of sweet but silly people dancing and singing around like at a bar or dance hall – with very little relevance to God in their actions.

Still, as I have said – they know no better; they are sincere. Sincerity matters. I must assume that as these good folks grow in their knowledge of God, and move from milk to meat in the Word of God, their behavior will likewise conform more to that of God’s Saints. That takes time.

The important thing is that these fine people BELIEVE on the Lord Jesus Christ. I can fit-in almost anywhere (at least for a time) with folks that agree with me on that point. They do not have to be scholars.

By extension, who is to say that I am not too reserved myself, and maybe I should loosen-up a bit? The answer may well be in the middle somewhere; people should feel free to express themselves towards God as they please, but only as it pleases Him. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment