Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Is It A Sin To Want To Die? Was Jesus' Own "Suicide" Wrong? (NO!)


I lay down My life so that I may take it again.No one has taken it away from Me, but I lay it down on My own initiative" (John 10:17-18). I stress this: Jesus DIED BY HIS OWN INITIATIVE.

First of all, I am an unashamed Christian. Most Christians and many other people feel like it is wrong to commit suicide, and in most cases I would agree; however, is it wrong to want to die (not by your own means) and to pray to God Himself for it? (He is the Giver and Taker of life, Job 1:21).

Jesus Christ (God Incarnate) says that thinking or planning something evil in your heart is like doing it ( Matthew 5:28). So, simply NOT committing suicide doesn't mean you are not in error for considering it - IF it is really a sin or wrong.

But, what are the facts? The Ten Commandments tell us that murder (yes, the proper translation is "murder," not "kill") is a sin. Thus, to contemplate doing away with yourself and taking away the life God gives and controls would generally be wrong. What? "Generally?" 

Let me explian. There are justifiable reasons for purposely taking one's own life, and it is not murder. The best example is to lay down your own life for others, to save them or make theirs better (John 15:13). Jesus says this is the ultimate example of unselfish love. He willingly did it Himself. Do you see where this is going yet?

It is all about motives and reasoning. The act of suicide or thoughts of it can certainly be clues to an unstable mental and spiritual state, but not necessarily. Jesus was by no means unstable, yet He purposely and willingly took and laid down His own life.

Indeed, Jesus explains, "  For this reason the Father loves Me, because I lay down My life so that I may take it again.No one has taken it away from Me, but I lay it down on My own initiative" (John 10:17-18). I stress this: Jesus DIED BY HIS OWN INITIATIVE.

Jesus willingly laid down His Life, and was sad for an instant while doing it; even asking God the Father why He was forsaking Him - and prior to the cross Jesus temporarily asked that the cup (act of crucifixion, duty, etc) be removed from Him, but that He would willingly bear it (Luke 22; Mark 14). Thankfully, Jesus rose again - took-up His own Life again, for all that will BELIEVE upon Him.

The whole point is that most suicides are wrong and purposeless, but not all. Motives matter. Just because someone kills themself doesn't mean that they are "headed to Hell." We all should know the full facts before "judging."

~ Jimmy Hall is owner of JIMMY HALL WRITING SERVICES (404-580-1501), and does most types of business writing and web writing and personal writing at reasonable rates...

No comments:

Post a Comment