Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Fitness: Focus, Persistence, And Determination - Jimmy Hall

For the past 10 months I have been carefully and systematically training. For what? Me. Yes, for myself and the presentation of myself to the world. Starting last year, I truly had a mountain to climb. God, I feel, is my partner in this effort - even if it is sometimes selfish.

At 54, I am single (heterosexual), an "only child," with two deceased parents. After a horrid 4-month hospitalization last year, in which I had to stay pretty much at her side, my mom died - after almost a full miraculous recovery. 



Truth is, Christian or not, I had been cowardly self-medicating to get through it all, and I was also "walking death," myself. It was bad, and it was sad, and it was ludicrous for me to allow myself to get in such bad condition - physically, mentally, and spiritually.

Two weeks following her death, I gave up alcohol (likely just in time at that point, as I was having shakes and nervous spells), and evaluated myself. My arms were like two muscle-less bones hanging down, the once great chest and shoulders were gone, and I had a beer gut like a wealthy plumber or house painter.

Truth is, for all the months mom was in the hospital, and a few months later, I could not even work or run my company - I was too upset. Nonetheless, a rebound was starting.



After giving up booze, 5 or 6 weeks later I began lifting weights again - like years ago. Only this time there was a huge determination factor. A fitness journal was started - recording all food, drink, protein, and workout information. 

I have also diligently bought and studied all the major bodybuilding books, videos, and supplement/food guides, and studied the science. (I am still going strong at 2 gyms, particularly Workout Anytime/Douglasville, Ga.)

My goal was and is to prove that a middle-aged dude can workout and train and get back into incredible shape, even after numerous tragedies and unhealthy behavior (I drank an awful lot and rarely slept at all). I am on my way. Ten months into this new life, results are showing.



It is fair to say that in almost all areas of my body, my strength has doubled and I have gained muscle size and mass proportionally. In addition, the gut is leaving, and I even have a bit of endurance now. My perenially high blood pressure and elevated blood sugar no longer seem to be problems (I hope).

What has worked for me? Ideally, I should train each body part (muscle group) twice a week (once extremely hard, once moderate), while taking-in large amounts of Protein, Creatine, various Aminos, Vitamins, and Minerals - and just the right amount of Carbs with the Protein (at exactly the right times).

I do not know what the future holds, but I hope to continue to at least physically grow and become fitter by the week as it unfolds. It's all about fitness - via focus, persistence, and determination. Let's go for it!



I am Jimmy Hall (404-580-1501), and I own a professional writing company that specializes in web content, business plans, resumes, and most other writing projects... 



No comments:

Post a Comment