Sunday, August 9, 2015

Lazy Roomates: Ever Had An Unmotivated Roommate?

ROOMMATES. Often in early adulthood and during times of transition or financial difficulty later in life, roommates are helpful to have and team-up with. Good roommates are great, right? 

The problem with roommates is that many do not think like you do. Indeed, some do things illogically or irrationally, and many waste their very God-given lives right before your eyes, when you know that they could be so much more.

As a Christian, it baffles me to watch my housemate throw-away her life: no hobbies, no exercising, constant junk food and candy, no housekeeping, no motivation to improve herself, no discipline, no ambition, and a general wasting of her God-given life are all I see.

It's truly a shame. I have watched this once- vibrant, pretty, and fairly fit woman de-evolve (in a short time) into the older-looking and heavyset grandmother we all recall from our youths. When I dare mention it, she goes ballastic. There is no helping her. 

In a selfish manner, I can honestly say that seeing her motivates me not to ever be like that. I put almost every hour of everyday to good use in one way or another. When I feel weak, and do not particularly want to workout, I have motivation before my eyes to do so. Never do I want to let myself go mentally, physically, or spiritually as my rather lazy roommate has done. (The same goes for mental and spiritual things.)

God works in mysterious ways. Though this female friend living with me may serve to unmotivate herself, her situation actually motivates me. I have diligently worked-out and exercised almost daily (and taken protein/creatine, vitamins, etc) since we have shared a place. (She has exercised maybe 3 or 4 times in the last year, and a couple of those sessions were just swimming.) 

At any rate, I have whipped myself into decent shape, doubled my strength, and become muscular instead of overweight, whereas she is in the absolute worse shape of her life, seemingly gaining weight by the day.

It tears at my heart that she is wasting her life on so many levels, but the old cliche' seems to be true; "You cannot help someone until they are ready to admit their problems and try and help themselves." This includes roommates.





No comments:

Post a Comment