Sunday, May 24, 2015

Girlfriend's Grandkids: Renting Grandchildren!!!!!

My girlfriend/platonic roommate is young at heart, often mistaken for her daughter and 2 sons' older cousin, despite the "kids" being between ages 25 and 29. She has a number of grandchildren between ages 1 and 6. This sometimes becomes "fun" for me, being an adult "only-child" without any children or grandchildren of my own. The girlfriend's grandkids/grandchildren sort of fill an activity void in my life.

Yes, I especially get the feel of being a parent or grandparent when we occasionally babysit (overnight) her daughter's 2 year-old boy and 6 year-old girl. Talk about patience! 

The sweet and smiling little boy amazes me. You can talk to him eye to eye, he agrees with you, then 10 seconds later nothing you said means anything to him! He's a real American boy! The little fella looks ya in the face as he playfully disobeys you, thinking it is funny.

The pretty little girl, on the other hand, behaves herself completely and is easily entertained by the computer or television, particularly the abcd games online. She likes to learn things. Go figure!

I have gotten pretty good with the roommate's grandkids, as far as discipline and child-proofing things. Sometimes I even correct them, but I cheat. I say "Mema says you can't do that!" In no way do I want these children to dislike me or blame me for anything! It's simply not gonna happen. Jimmy is the "good guy" here.

The girlfriend's grandkids or grandchildren are a breath of fresh air. I think I learn a lot from them being around. I learn from them, and how to use all types of psychology on them. But, I also learn math. How????

It seems like about every ten minutes the girlfriend is looking at one or both of these precious children and counting! "1-2-3..., I better not get to 10!!!" LOL. As a bystander, I have my single digits down pat now, if I had ever forgotten them. 

Children certainly are a blessing. I have no kids or grandkids, but I sure do enjoy it when I somehow wind-up "renting hers!" The great thing is that by the time the babysitting gets to be work, it is time for them to go home!!

~ Jimmy Hall owns a writing service and writes all types of business, web, and personal writing (404-580-1501).

No comments:

Post a Comment