Monday, May 11, 2015

Sadness: Nobility & Sadness & Grief

We all have felt like martyrs at times, whereas there are true martyrs out there that we cannot hold a light to. Indeed, we go through bad breakups, family troubles, financial hardships, and awful deaths, and feel like our sad condition is somehow "noble" or "holy." Trust me, I know exactly whereof I speak. I did it for years. I did it just last year.


Guess what? This pentance and self-absorbed sadness and grief is not holy. Sure, it may be a good sign that we are human and have a heart and feel deeply, but it is not the proper response to tragic events UNLESS we are using it spiritually to pray for a Christian ends to the matter henceforth onward.




The truth is, if I am a Christian I should do some weeping and whatever necessary for a mental and spiritual cleansing, but then I should move ahead. God doesn't want me stuck in melancholy or grief unless I use that sadness for something great (a book, play, story, artistry, songs, helping others, etc). And, if He doesn't want me stuck there, He doesn't want anyone else there either. Get it?

The nobility we feel from our sadness is not nobility at all; we are fooled. This state of mind actually deters us from fulfilling what our true life purposes are on this Earth. If we believe in God as we claim we do, shouldn't we consider tragic events simply as hardships along the larger road of life? 

I write this not only to readers, but also and even mainly to myself. I have moods and fits of sadness at times. They can be allowed to go to the extreme. I am working on it, dealing directly with grief. I present this blog piece as an inspiration for you to do likewise....

~ Jimmy Hall (404-580-1501) operates a writing service outside of Atlanta, Georgia,

No comments:

Post a Comment