Thursday, July 30, 2015

New Water Meters And Home Water Supplies: Fixing Yard Leaks

I may not know what true fun is, but digging-up a water line in the yard and finding various stretches of it 18 inches deep on two different sides of a bush island in the front yard ain't it. I know. I have spent a few days pinpointing a leak (under the bushes) and digging up (locating) opposing entry paths of the pipe. The idea is to bypass the leak, or circumvent it.



Something tells me that the anti-fun has just begun. I must dig a pathway/half circular ditch for the new pipe to lay in, cut the existing pipe on each side of the bush island, connect the new pipe with joints or clamps or something, lay the new pipe, and then cover it all over and do something nice with the yard and the dirt.




The local water and sewer authority just placed a new water meter and cut-off valve in the yard a few months ago, and at that time there was NO LEAK. To me, this is rather fishy, yet likely just a coincidence - for the leak is in the middle of the system under a huge pine and a dozen jungle bushes.




I like to work hard on things, but I think about plans and things way too much. I logically plot and figure where this or that should be, then later realize that the original workers were not smart enough to do things rationally. I need to play stupid when I work on these things, and have the mindset of the installers.




Think about it. Who runs a water line under a full grown pine tree and its  huge root system? (The giant  tree was here when the house was built, and the pipes laid.) The builder seems to have known even less about plumbing, water lines, and water meters than me.....

Now you know how I shall probably spend next week, and what I will be doing. Stay tuned for potential details!!!!!! I want NO MORE complications.

No comments:

Post a Comment